Can you believe it’s August?
Yes, I’ve been a traveling fool and loving it. My blogs on Greece and the South of France will be coming soon.
I came back to NYC this week and needed to play in the kitchen after being away. So I stopped by the Union Square Market on Wednesday and noticed the plethora of berries.
I couldn’t help myself; so I bought oh so many pints and when I got them home, I ate some but needed to do something with the rest. So I made this quick berry preserve with a twist. I wanted it to taste unique; so I decided to buy some lavender and added it into the mix.
The best part about a preserve is that you can enjoy it for 3-4 weeks or freeze it for up to a year! I love it on my toast in the morning.
Here is my version of summer in a jar!
Print Recipe Berry & Lavender Preserve
Servings: 8 people
- 1 pint raspberries, washed and picked over
- 2 pint blueberries, washed and picked over
- 1 ¼ cups organic sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons edible lavender
- 1 whole lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a medium saucepan mix raspberries, blueberries, and sugar
- Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar
- Add lemon juice, and zest
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 30-35 minutes or until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon (It will not be as thick as a jam)
- Add the edible lavender, and mix well
- While the preserve is cooking, sterilize jars by placing them on a cookie sheet. Then heat them in the oven for 10 minutes. Take them out of the oven and let cool.
- rSpoon preserve into sterilized jars, cover, refrigerate and enjoy!
You can use any size jar but for this recipe you may use 2 – 8oz jars, or 1 – 16 – oz jar.
What size jar did you use!