Print Recipe Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 1/2 pounds cubed butternut squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 small pears, cored, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 yellow onion, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and grated
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cups coconut milk
- Fresh pomegranate seeds to garnish
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with foil.
- In a large bowl mix butternut squash with olive oil, salt, pepper, and curry powder.
- Lay the squash on baking sheet and bake them until tender, about 40 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over moderate heat. Add the pears, onion, ginger, and garlic. Cook uncovered, stirring once or twice until lightly browned (15 to 20 minutes)
- Add vegetable stock, and bring to a simmer.
- Add squash, partially cover the pan and cook the soup, stirring occasionally, until the pears are tender (30-35 minutes).
- Add coconut milk, and stir soup well. Adjust seasoning. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Purée the soup in a food processor or blender.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with fresh pomegranate.
- If desired cool, cover, and refrigerate. This soup can be prepared up to 3 days in advance. When you’re ready to serve it, return the soup to the pan and heat.