Print Recipe Chai (Indian Spiced Tea)
Ingredients for Masala Chai Spice
- 4 teaspoons freshly ground canela (a soft and fragrant type of cinnamon; canela chips are easiest to grind)
- 4 teaspoons freshly ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground green (not white) cardamom pods
- ½ teaspoon whole cardamom seed
Ingredients for Chai Tea
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons best-quality Darjeeling tea or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried lemongrass
- ¼ teaspoon Masala Chai, or to taste
- Sugar or honey to taste
Masala Chai Spice
- In a small bowl, thoroughly stir together the canela, cloves, ground cardamom pods and whole cardamom seeds. Store airtight for up to 1 month at room temperature or freeze for up to 3 months.
- In a small, heavy saucepan over low heat combine the milk, water, tea, lemongrass and chai. Bring gradually to a simmer, stirring once or twice. Remove from the heat, cover and let steep for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how strong you want the tea.
- Strain the tea into cups, add sugar or honey to taste and serve immediately.Serves 2-4; makes about 4 cups.Note: The lemongrass makes the chai especially stimulating, but it can be omitted if desired.