Print Recipe Chickpea, Brown and Wild Rice Salad with Moroccan-Spiced Dressing
Servings: 6 people
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, preferably tamari
- 1 tablespoon unsulphured molasses
- 1/2 cup wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon hot curry powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzos), rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup sliced unblanched almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions, sliced on the diagonal
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped mint
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, soy sauce and molasses. Set over medium heat and bring to a boil. Add the wild rice, cover, lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally. Cooking times vary, so it is best to cook according to package directions – do not overcook. Drain well.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the brown rice and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover, lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally. Cooking times vary, so it is best to cook according to package directions – do not overcook. Drain well.
- In a small, heavy skillet over low heat, combine the turmeric, coriander curry powder and nutmeg. Cook, stirring often, until fragrant and lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Remove from the skillet immediately and cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the rice wine vinegar, oil, honey, sugar and toasted spice mixture. Add in the hot wild rice and brown rice, the chickpeas and raisins. Mix together and let cool. The salad can be prepared to this point up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Return to room temperature of chilled.
- Stir in the almonds, scallions and mint and adjust the seasoning. Serve at room temperature, no more than 30 minutes after adding the almonds.