The best thing about knowing some of the top chefs in the world is when they teach you all of their tricks! Also, they’re usually great company, much like my friend, Chef Wayne Nish who taught me how to cook Fregola pasta to perfection!
Don’t take my word for it, though – make it for yourself!
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ¾ cup fregola
- 1 pound of clams and oysters
- 1 small onion, sliced into rounds
- 1 cup beer
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ pound spinach
- Chives and chervil for garnish
- Bring 2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth to a boil, then stir in 3/4 cups of fregola. Let it simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until done. Drain well and set aside in a bowl.
- In a med sized pot with a lid, place shellfish, sliced onion, beer, and bay leaf. Add the fregola to the pot.
- Let the seafood cook until the shells open (discard any that do not open).
- Steam spinach in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the seafood and fregola to a bowl and garnish with the spinach, chives and chervil.
- Serve with warm bread to soak up the sauce.