One bite of my Herbed Lentil Salad will send your palate on a journey to France. My favorite lentil salad is perfect for a spring or summertime picnic and loaded with fresh herbs, crunchy walnuts, and creamy goat cheese.
This rustic and earthy vegetarian dish pairs perfectly with a glass of Chardonnay. This is a wonderful make-ahead dish. After a couple of hours, the lentils soak up all of those herbal notes and tangy flavors from the rich French dressing. Make a batch of my Herbed Lentil Salad, grab a bottle of wine, and head to the nearest park or beach for some R&R!
Print Recipe Herbed Lentil Salad with Walnuts and Goat Cheese
- 8 cups water
- 2 cup green lentils rinsed
- ¾ cups walnuts
- French Dressing recipe below
- ¼ cup chopped Dill
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese plus a bit extra for garnish
- Zest and Juice from ½ lemon
- 2 cups arugula packed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons minced shallots
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large pot over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Add the lentils, turn the heat to medium-low, partially cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Drain and place the lentils in a large mixing bowl. Toss with ¼ teaspoon of salt and let cool completely.
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, toast the walnuts, moving them around the pan every now and again for 4 minutes. Place on a cutting board, letting them cool slightly, and roughly chop. Set aside.
- Mix the French Dressing into the lentils, stirring well to combine. Add the dill, goat cheese, lemon zest and juice. At this point your salad can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. When ready to serve, add the walnuts and arugula. Taste and adjust seasoning, then serve with the extra crumbled goat cheese sprinkled on top in your favorite bowl or platter.