It’s hard to believe, but this is Flirting with Flavors’ most requested (and beloved) appetizer. For some reason, people keep asking for it! It’s so simple that I’m always surprised by how crazy people go for it. I won’t complain! It’s always nice to have a failproof appetizer on your menu that’s ready in minutes. Finally, it’s time to divulge the secret to this impossibly easy recipe. Here it is! By the way, don’t limit this pesto to crostini. It’s awesome on pasta, pizzas, you name it! Another hint: we serve this stuff on multigrain baguette that has a touch of sweetness to it. If you can find bread like that, it’s the perfect pairing. Here it is guys, enjoy:
Here’s the cast. I forgot a garlic clove. Whoops!
First, chop up a 2 oz block of parm, and throw it into a food processor with a chopped clove of garlic.
Pulse it up! Until it looks like this.
Then, go ahead and add in 2 cups of chopped kale and one cup of parsley leaves. It’ll seem like a lot– but it shrinks down!
Once that’s nice and chopped, add in your walnuts, lemon zest, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Adjust the amount of lemon to your taste. I like it zingy!
Now it’s time to stream in the oil. I use about 1/3 a cup, but if you like yours more thick or thin, change it up. This recipe is very adaptable!
Voila! Pesto. Season it up and you’re ready for some crostini!
You may make crostini your own way, but when I do it, I just lay baguette slices on a sheet tray and brush both sides with olive oil. Throw a little salt and pepper on them and toss into a 400 degree oven for about 5 minutes on each side. A little spread of pesto and a shaving of parm and you’ve got yourself a fabulous snack. So delicious. The kale is earthy and the parsley is nice and bright. Great combo. It’s my favorite pesto by far. Who needs basil!? Well, until it starts growing in my garden…..
- 2 ounce chunk parmesan cheese, roughly chopped
- 2 clove garlie
- 2 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 1 cup parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 1/3 cup olive oil, plus more for crostini
- 1 baguette, thinly sliced on a bias
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan shavings, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse parmesan until finely grated. Add garlic and pulse until mixture is homogenous. Add kale and parsley, and pulse until mixture is finely chopped but not paste-like. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add zest, lemon juice, and walnuts. Pulse until walnut is very finely chopped. From the opening on top, stream in olive oil with blade running. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay baguette slices on a sheet tray and brush or drizzle with olive oil on both sides. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 5 minutes, flip crostinis, and bake another 5 minutes on other side. Spread with kale pesto and garnish with a parmesan shaving.
That looks really good and I know it is healthy. Good one!