You can’t go wrong with my Secret Ingredient Sweet Potatoes for an easy appetizer. With simple ingredients and day-of prep, these adorable sweet potato bites are a no-brainer for your holiday table. The secret ingredients here are fresh orange and pineapple. Every time I serve these nostalgic bites, no one can figure out what that sweet and citrusy flavor is. I love to keep them guessing!
- 5 pounds (4 or 5 large) sweet potatoes
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 4 oranges, sliced in half and flesh scooped out
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 regular-sized (not mini) marshmallows, cut in half horizontally, or toasted chopped nuts, optional
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees. Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake until tender, about 1 ½ hours.
- Remove from the oven and cool. Lower the oven temperature to 325°F.
- While the potatoes are baking, add the pineapple, orange zest, and the flesh of two oranges to a food processor or blender. Pulse until smooth.
- Peel the baked potatoes, discarding the skin. Place them into the food processor or blender with the orange mixture, as well as adding in the brown sugar, butter, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Puree into smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly amongst orange halves. Bake for 20 minutes, then take out of the oven and set to broil at 350°F.
- Place 3 marshmallow halves on top of each orange cup and broil for 30 seconds, or until nicely toasted.
I hope you’ll try these sweet and citrusy appetizers at home and let me know what you think below! Even the pickiest eaters at your table will be obsessed with these cute light bites. Happy cooking!