Print Recipe New Year’s Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas, picked over, see Note
- 6 tablespoons cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1¼ teaspoons Tabasco Pepper Sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed through a press
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- In a medium pot, cover the peas with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat, and once bubbling, boil for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the peas sit in the water for 15 minutes. Drain. This is a way to quickly “soak” the peas.
- Put the peas back into a medium pot and cover with cold water. Set over medium heat and bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat and cook gently, stirring once or twice, until just tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and transfer immediately to a medium bowl.
- Add the oil, vinegar, Worcestershire, Tabasco, garlic and salt to the hot peas; toss well. Cool to room temperature. Stir in the onion and adjust the seasoning. Serve at room temperature. Note: Six cups rinsed and drained canned black-eyed peas can be substituted.