Last week was one of those weeks. It started off with a bang when I went to Tony Robbins birthday bash and launch of his new book, Unshakable. My week slid downhill from there. I was so tired, achy, headachy and boom, there I was in bed the rest of the week.
Sick sick with the flu and 101 fever. I still had an appetite though. Surprised????
Towards the end of the week, I had enough energy to make a roast chicken. I wanted to make a side dish with turmeric as it’s so good for you and helps with inflammation of any kind.
I made this easy Moroccan couscous. It’s incredibly delicious and I think the key is the brand of couscous that I use, called M’Hamsa Hand-rolled Couscous. You can buy it at Whole Foods or here is the link to purchase it online.
It’s somewhat uneven and coarse grained. That’s part of its appeal. This couscous when cooked has a texture unlike others and mixed with turmeric, mint, and topped with pistachio nuts, it’s incredibly fragrant and the nuts give it a crunch you will love. You can use water, vegetable stock or chicken stock to cook it.
On Saturday, I had to audition for a talent show! Yep! It could not have been a worse time to sing!
My nose was clogged and I had so much congestion but with a help of a great acupuncturist and healer, I made the audition!
I did my hair and makeup and you’d never know I had been in bed all week.
And I got into the talent show!
Hope you’ll come see me and 11 other women perform our hearts out.
The event take place on Monday April 3rd at 7:00PM at the Triand on the Upper West Side.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon shallot, chopped
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1½ cups water, or chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons unshelled pistachio, crushed
- 2 tablespoons mint, chiffonade
- 2 salt, to taste
- Heat olive oil, in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add chopped garlic, and shallot.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add couscous, turmeric and salt, stir until the couscous is a bright yellow color.
- Add water or stock, cook with lid on, for 15 minutes or until the couscous has absorbed all the water.
- Serve the couscous in a bowl, and garnish with pistachio, and fresh mint!
- Enjoy this simple but delicious side dish with any chicken, steak, or vegetable entree.