Print Recipe Torta De Tortilla
Servings: 8 people
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cans diced tomato with chilies
- 2 olive oil, for pan
- 24 corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 pounds colby jack cheese, shredded
- 1 pint half and half
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 lime wedges and cilantro, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a medium sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until lightly browned.
- Add diced tomato with chilies and cook together 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small sauté pan, heat a scant amount of oil over medium-high heat. One at a time, lightly toast each side of the tortillas until soft. Reserve on paper towels.
- In a 9” x 13” greased baking dish, layer 6 tortillas in bottom. Top with ¼ tomato mixture and ¼ the shredded cheese. Repeat for four layers.
- Pour half and half over layers evenly. Top with sour cream, dolloping and spreading across surface as much as possible.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350F.
- Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
- Serve with lime wedges and cilantro to garnish.
- This dish can be frozen and reheated!
Thanks for commenting and so happy to hear from you!
Ah yes I remember this dish well.