I don’t know about you, but I crave chocolate every day. It’s a hard life! Do you try to satisfy your cravings with healthy alternatives like I do? Instead of restricting my favorite foods, I love finding treats that won’t kill my diet. This protein-packed mousse is like a dream come true. In a blind chocolate mousse taste test, I bet you’d have a hard time picking out the healthy version. Can’t believe it? Watch below to find out how it’s done!
I’m not exaggerating when I say this was the most fun I’ve ever had on a video shoot! Fernanda is a good friend of mine, but it was still such a treat to be able to film inside her famous Vegan Diva Bakery. I’ve been using her cookbook for a while now, but there’s nothing like learning a recipe first-hand. It didn’t hurt that her most popular dessert happens to involve chocolate!
I never would have thought to put silken tofu into a dessert,but I’m telling you it’s even BETTER than using eggs or cream. Its thick texture gives the mousse so much more luxuriousness. You really feel like you’re indulging in something sinful, but guess what? The Vegan Diva bakery is thoughtful enough to include nutrition information for all of their desserts. You’ll never guess how few calories this mousse packs per serving. 150!!!! Not to mention the fact that those calories come from healthy protein instead of saturated fat. If that alone doesn’t sell you, how about the fact that we made it in less than 10 minutes? Incredible! Thank you so much, Fernanda, for introducing me to my new go-to dessert!
I know many of you will be hosting guests for Passover this year, and may be on the lookout for great flourless desserts. Well here you go! Just swap the brownie layer for more chocolate chips and raspberries and you’ve got yourself a flourless dessert perfect for Passover.
Ready for the recipes? Here they are!
Vegan Divas’s Chocolate Mousse Parfait
This is our most popular item at Vegan Divas, and with good reason. My aim with this recipe was to create the most chocolaty chocolate mousse ever, one that has the same silky texture of the classic version. The beautifully smooth mouthfeel of this mousse comes from a combination of high-quality chocolate, silky tofu and just a touch of canola oil. Both fresh raspberries and crunchy cacao nibs are ideal finishes for this indulgent dessert.
- 2 cups (340 g/12 oz) vegan semisweet chocolate morsels
- 2 tablespoons (20 g/0.7 oz) canola oil
- 2 ½ 12.3-ounce packages (871 g/30.75 oz) Mori-Nu Silken Style Tofu, extra firm
- 1 cup (154 g/5.4 oz) Sucanat (see Sources, page 000)
- 1 ½ Tbsp (18 g/0.63 oz) vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 tsp (1.125 g/0.04 oz) kosher salt
- 2 Vegan brownie crumbles, raspberries, and mini vegan chocolate chips for assembly
- Place the chocolate morsels and canola oil in a heatproof bowl and set the bowl over a saucepan half filled with barely simmering water.
- Heat, stirring frequently, until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the tofu, Sucanat, vanilla extract and salt in the bowl of a food processor and process until very smooth, about 1 minute.
- With the food processor running, add the melted chocolate to the tofu mixture through the feed tube.
- Continue to process until blended, occasionally scraping down the sides of the work bowl, about 1 minute.
- Scrape the mousse into a medium bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least 5 hours before serving.
- To serve, pipe the mousse into elegant serving glasses, layer with chocolate brownie, another quote of mousse, another of brownie and garnish with fresh raspberries and chocolate chips.
OR Buy The Vegan Diva Cookbook for the ultimate version!