Summer is upon us! My favorite time of year. What better way to kick off the season than with a refreshing and beautiful drink! Who doesn’t love watermelon and especially with vodka in it?? This cocktail is so refreshing infused with mint and basil and such a vibrant color too… a crowd pleaser for sure.
One large watermelon makes a gallon of juice so you can have unlimited cocktails all weekend long or enjoy for one evening with lots of friends to share this splash.
On another note, this will certainly be a summer to remember for me. After 24 years of living and entertaining in our Norman Jaffy home, my husband and I decided to sell our house in Bridgehampton. We are getting ready to move and have rented it for most of the summer. So this will be a bittersweet time for us. Saying goodbye and looking for a new home.
Plus, my son is getting married on June 25th!
After that, we will be traveling extensively in July to Greece and the South of France, and then we have planned a trip out west complete with a Dude Ranch visit in August.
I am also working on a draft of my new cookbook.
So stay tuned for my travel write ups. I will only be posting every other week this summer.
Wishing you a flirtatious and inspired summer!!
Print Recipe Watermelon Splash!
Servings: 2 Cocktails
- 4 fluid ounces Fresh Watermelon Juice
- 3/4 fluid ounces Basil simple syrup
- 3/4 fluid ounces Lime Juice
- 2 fluid ounces Vodka
- 2 Splash soda water
- 2 Watermelon rind
- 2 MINT
- 1 Large Watermelon
Basil Simple Syrup
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Fresh basil, chopped
Fresh Watermelon Juice
- Place the watermelon flesh, in a food processor for 2 - 3 minutes, on high.
- Strain the juice from any seeds, or pulp. Place in a pitcher.
Basil Simple Syrup
- In a small pot, combine sugar, water and basil.
- Cook until all the sugar has dissolved about 10 minutes.
- Let the syrup sit for fifteen minutes, before straining the basil.
- In a cocktail mixer start with a cup of ice, then add the watermelon juice, simple syrup, vodka, and lime juice.
- Shake well, for 2 minutes.
- Pour in a rocks glass, on ice. Add a splash of soda water.
- Garnish with a small bunch of mint, and a twist of watermelon rind.
- Cheers & Happy Summer!!