So get this… I was in L.A. in March and I was in an Uber going to the airport; as I was flying back to NYC. My uber driver was a lovely talkative woman at 6AM and we started chatting about health, wellness and cooking. She was a vegan and told me about this new way to make meringue with the liquid from canned chickpeas.
She got my attention! She told me that this liquid gets light and fluffy just like meringue when you beat it with sugar. So basically it’s a vegan meringue. I thought that this was quite unique; and so I had to try it for myself.
The name of this delicious fluff like substance is called aquafaba. I love the name. I tried making it at home. I couldn’t believe how easy it is. So how do you use it once you make it?
Let me share two recipes with you that we created.
But feel free to use this fluff anyway your imagination lets you.
Just remember that you must beat it for 15 minutes before it begins to thicken.
Print Recipe Aquafaba
Servings: 4 people
- 1 can chickpea liquid
- ½ cup sugar, organic
- In a large bowl start whipping the chickpea liquid, and sugar on medium speed for 5 minutes. The mixture should start changing color to white.
- Adjust the speed to high and whip for an additional 8-10 minutes or until the mixture becomes thick white and foamy consistency, almost meringue like, and sticks to the back of the spoon.
- Substitute aquafaba for fluff, meringue, or marshmallow and add it to baked goods for moist texture.
Print Recipe Strawberry Banana Goodness
Servings: 2 people
- 2 slices, Raisin bread toasted
- 6 tablespoons Hazelnut chocolate spread
- ½ cup Aquafaba
- 1 each banana, sliced
- 4 each strawberry, sliced
- 2 each strawberry, sliced
- Spread three tbsp of hazelnut chocolate spread on a slice of toasted raisin bread
- Spoon and smooth out 1/4 cup of aquafaba
- Gently place a few slices of banana and strawberry on the aquafaba
- Sprinkle with organic sugar
- Torch for one minute or until the sugar caramelizes and gives the fruit and aquafaba a caramel like color
- Enjoy this delicious vegan open faced sandwich
Print Recipe Crunchy PBJ
Servings: 2 sandwiches