This recipe was one of my favorites! It’s not your typical “diet food” as it’s full of substance and flavor. I love a great bowl for this very reason, and I wouldn’t have thought that I would get to eat such a meal during the detox cleanse. That’s the trick to this program, though – you don’t feel like you’re being cheated out of pleasure while you put your health first!
Whether you can find Aduki Beans or Adzuki Beans – you’re on the right path! There are a couple of different spellings for this protein, so no need to worry if you can only find one and not the other.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups filtered water (for quinoa)
- 2 15 oz cans of adzuki beans (I use Eden Organics)
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 limes, freshly juiced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon (heaping) cumin
- 2 Haas avocados, sliced
- 2 Small handful of cilantro, chopped
- Cook quinoa by combining 2 cups of filtered water with 1 cup of quinoa in a pot over high heat. When the water comes to a boil, cover the pot and turn heat down to the lowest setting for 30 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, open the cans of beans, thoroughly rinse and drain, and pour into a small saucepan over low heat. Stir in the onions, lime juice, garlic, and cumin and let avors combine for 10-15 minutes.
- When quinoa is done cooking, put quinoa into individual serving bowls. Top with beans, avocado, and cilantro. Serve and enjoy!